Sunday, January 3, 2010

Holiday Ornament 1: Slinky



Okay,this is one of the ornaments I did for Xmas...this one going to Slink. The materials I used were: red glass stain paint, glass etching glue in white, large clear glass ornament, orange ribbon w/ white flower designs, hot glue.

You can choose any ribbon,I just picked one that would match Slink best.

First, I made a bow out of the ribbon. What I did was cut eight equal lengths of ribbon--probably about four or five inches...maybe a tad longer. And two lengths that were half as long as my eight lengths. Then, I hot glued each of my lengths, separately, into circles. Then, I took each circle made from the longer lengths and glued them middle to middle. By this time, the longer lengths should have two loopy looking openings on either end. Then,I stacked them, middle to middle, gluing them together and turning them so that it filled out my bow. Then, I glued by two smaller circles to either side of my bow (by the way, you can do this with package ribbon...just leave off the smaller circle on the bottom and use double sticky tape instead of hot glue).

Next comes easily the hardest part...putting the ribbon inside. Put the hardened middle of the ribbon to the opening in the ornament. Then, gently and slowly, just shove it inside...which could take a few minutes. Once inside, shake the ornament until you have the ribbon flipped the way you want it.

Next, using either a stencil or free-hand, write whatever you want on the ornament. I wrote Slinky in freehand...which is why it's kind of sloppy. Wait for it to dry. Then, trace your design w/ the the glass etching liquid. Again, wait for it to dry. Then, you're done!





Photos courtsey of Slinky. Composite and edits made w/ GIMP.

1 comment:

  1. And Slinky enjoyed her ornament, obviously. :D I think I'm going to make some of these ornaments for every member of my household next year.

    ReplyDelete